Stroud in 1910
While at first glance the layout of the parish in 1910 appears similar to that in 1897, there are some key differences. The two map extracts show the Western and Eastern parts of Stroud for greater clarity.
There are minor changes to the building layout of the Brickworks north of Beckham Lane. Changes also to the south across the Lane and in the corner between Beckham Lane and North Stroud Lane where a former open field is now also shown as Brick Works with a new building in the corner and just to the south of which Old Kilns are depicted. Clay pits further to south (and shown on the 1897 map) have gone and perhaps infilled.
Moving to the eastern part of the village, we see that the Sand Pit east of the Seven Stars Inn has now extended southwards.
We also see the layout of the Roman Villa (Remains of) and which had only recently been excavated. On the southern boundary of the adjacent sand pit a small cross indicates the location of a Lead Coffin found AD 1898. The Liss Archaeology Group have undertaken extensive searches and failed to locate the present whereabouts of the lead coffin.
To the north of the parish and into Steep and located at the junction of what is now Ridge Common Lane and Lythe Lane we see a new Mission Church now known as Stroud Church.
While the main road through Stroud is still called Beckham Lane, east of Berelands Farm (now below the A3/A272 junction) the road becomes Winchester Road.
The western part of Stroud west of the Seven Stars Inn and showing the extent of the brickworks in 1910 taken from the 1:10 560 scale Ordnance Survey map of that year.
The eastern part of Stroud East of the Seven Stars Inn showing the Sand Pit and location of the Lead Coffin. Also, the just excavated Roman Villa and the Methodist Chapel (Primitive) 1909. Taken from the 1:2500 scale Ordnance Survey map of that year.