Stroud in 1897-98
The Ordnance Survey maps of 1897-98 depict a considerable rationalisation of what is now Stroud parish. Parish boundaries had been altered in 1894 and while the western part of Stroud is still within (a much reduced) East Meon parish and the northern part within Steep, the large area that was within Buriton is now the western part of Petersfield Urban District.
Our area has continued to develop with new cottages and a house on the southside of Beckham Lane between Stroud Farm and the Seven Stars Inn and alongside North Stroud Lane.
Nothing is left of Stroud Common (other than the name) and we see that some of the former common land between North Stroud Lane and Ramsdean Road is now shown as Clay Pit. Sand pits have also appeared east of the Seven Stars (behind the cottages) and alongside what is now Ridge Common Lane. The sand and clay would have supplied the now expanded brickworks and been mixed and fired to create bricks and tiles.
Waltham House now appears at the junction of Beckham Lane and the track north to Rothercoombe Farm and where the hop kilns are no longer shown.
Holmwood is no longer present in 1897, presumed demolished, and the track that led east is now a footpath leading to the newly appearing New Buildings and which is accessed from the track off the Beckham Lane south of Stroud Farm. The large area of land formerly rough pasture is no longer shown and presumably has been brought back into agricultural management.